Reports of fire evacuations have already begun for the Front Range, and anyone living in wildfire areas should already be prepared to evacuate in a moment’s notice. Being prepared means putting together an evacuation plan NOW and go over it with family and friends that you have close contact. If you get the call to evacuate it is too late to gather items, smoke in your area means it’s time to leave.
When preparing a plan, identify alternate routes to safety. Many mountain roads are one way in , one way out. Plan your escape routes, and what you will do if that direction is blocked in anyway.
For residents of Jefferson County, you can register for a reverse 911 call to notify you of evacuations – go to https://alertregistration.com/JeffersonCountyCO/ to sign up your cell phone or VoIP connection.
And always have your emergency kit at the door ready to go.
The Evergreen Fire Rescue team, from Evergreen, Colorado , recommends a kit that ncludes the following:
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle for signaling
- Dust masks
- Wrenches and pliers for shutting down utilities
- Food with can opener
- Spare eyeglasses, shoes, coats, spare clothing
- Animal carriers ready at the front of the house
- Escape route plan and emergency numbers for friends and family, neighbors
- Insurance , medical (including prescription information) and family information you may need.
- Spare keys.
- Phone chargers and car chargers
- Battery powered radio/emergency radio
For more information go to the web page at www.evergreenfirerescue.com.